Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Visiting the Parmarth Ashram - Remy


A few days ago, we visited the Parmarth Ashram, located on the Ganges River. We experienced a forty-five minute ceremony where the local Guru (who is a bit of a celebrity), lead us in prayer and taught the crowd about how we should treat the river.  I myself felt slightly miffed because the ceremony was (obviously) not in English, but I still felt as if the Hindi language captured the moment perfectly. I felt like I learned a lot about Hindu culture and discovered that I may have made a few poor judgments about this culture before the trip. After this experience, we went to bed early in preparation for the long trip to Ranikhet. During this eleven and a half hour trip, I had a lot of time to reflect on things I had done right and wrong during the first few days of the trip. I felt like I could have paid more attention during some lectures that we had and during some of the tours we went through. I didn't realize that I had learned very little about the local culture until I had fully immersed myself into it, instead of spectating like a tourist. I recently got assigned to host parents, but I still (only sort of) miss my parents who are traveling in Europe. I hope all of the dads out there had a great Father’s Day!
Catch you later!

-Remy

1 comment:

  1. Hi from Spain Remy! Knowing you are seeing things through the eyes of someone other that a common tourist is insight in itself. I am so glad you are having this wondeful experience, learning more about the Hindu culture and yourself. Looks like you found a sibling in Shay. Enjoy it all. Dad and I miss you. He missed you both especially on Father's Day! Mom

    ReplyDelete