Saturday, June 25, 2016

Building a Memorial - Rachel


For the past few days, we have been developing projects in order to give back to the villagers here in the Himalayas. I chose to participate in the project that is building a memorial for the 2013 flood that killed many people in India. So far, my group has visited a site that would be perfect for those who lost their loved ones to grieve and remember. I am so excited to be working on a memorial because I find it very important to honor those who have passed. After visiting the site, we decided that we would draw a design of what we wanted the memorial to look like. We planned on having an entrance that leads to an area filled with fruit trees and benches where people can sit comfortably. We also decided on designing six wall structures where people can write about the people they have lost. Taking a part in this project is quite the experience and I can’t wait until the project is completed. As for me, I am doing okay. I love my homestay family. They are hilarious and a bit crazy. The food is okay but I have had way too much chapati and chai. Anyway, I still can’t believe I am here in the Himalayas.

                                                                                                            - Rachel

Mom: Sorry I haven’t been able to call you and I hope you get this message. I miss you like crazy and there is not a day that I don’t think about you. I can’t wait to get back home so we can have more crazy adventures. By the way, when you pick me up at SFO, make sure to get me a really good burger. And fries. I love you so much Mom. I can’t wait to see you next week. XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Jesse: I know you are probably partying due to my absence, but do not stress my friend because I will be back to taunt you. Tee-hee. P.S. I hope you have been wearing your adorable little sweaters.

Rubino: Rubin, the man, the one and only… You have no idea how much I miss you. You are the light of my life. I miss your stupid jokes and ridiculous humor. You always find a way to make me laugh. And I know you are probably sitting on the couch watching SpongeBob and then when you turn around to comment you shed a tear because I am not there. And I also know you have said I miss Rachel a million times. I have said I miss Rubin a bunch of times. That’s because you are my best friend in the entire world and basically my twin who happens to be 16 months older. Big Rube, (rub) you da man. Honestly. Also, I hope you have eaten well because I have gone vegetarian for the past 2 weeks and I need my red meat, also meat in general. I saw my friend pull out chapati and I thought that it was chicken. But when I get back, we are so going out for burgers and then we are gonna watch a hilarious movie. I love you so much and I miss you. You are honestly the most entertaining person a girl could ever wish to grow up with. I love you.

Love,

Big Rach

P.S. When you pick me up at the airport, you better have bathed. Or else I am getting some water from the Ganges river and I will pour it all over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment