Friday, June 17, 2016

Adventures Through Yoga - Julissa

Today was filled with so much action that I feel like I have officially earned the title of an adventurer. After a delicious breakfast we traveled to an ashram where we had a much needed yoga session. I learned a very valuable lesson which I will never forget: breathing is our most important source of energy and it allows us to live in the present because when we focus on our breathing it is impossible to worry about our past or future breathing. I hope that when I return home I am able to adopt yoga into my daily life because, as a student, I do tend to worry about my past and future more than I should. I believe that yoga will be a way to free my mind. Yoga can take forms in various ways. In the west we see yoga as a form of exercise, but it is really much more than that. Apart from being the movement of our bodies, it also should be carried out in the form of service.




We were able to speak to women who model the service part of yoga perfectly. They told is about the work they have done to provide clean water and toilets around India. Open defecation is a severe problem in India and is responsible for the spread of many diseases. Thousand of children under the age of 5 in India die daily because they have no access to clean water or toilets. I found it inspiring to see these women who were so passionate about their work and their abilities to be powerful leaders.



After the ashram we were led to the Beatles ashram where they actually stayed in when it was still active. There were many tributes to the Beatles and artwork that took my breath away.  As a Beatles fan myself it was exciting to think that I was in the same area that they were once in. I also had a chance to think to myself a lot about what was happening in the current moment. I concluded that despite the heat and some feelings of discomfort, I was glad to experience what was happening and that if I ever had the opportunity to do this again, I definitely would. Today was an amazing day and I feel proud to be part of such an amazing group. I know that things get hot and sticky, but I love the way we have been able to power through.


Julissa

2 comments:

  1. Seems like you met real karma yogis. I'm glad you're having good experiences together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy for the experience and learning you are having. Remember, the more you know, the better you do. Keep being present and enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete