Thursday, June 23, 2016

My Body, My Yoga - Natalia


When we think of yoga, we think of young, hip, athletic people walking to class dressed in their Lulu Lemon yoga pants. However, there is so much more to yoga than the looks and exercise. Today we visited a quaint yoga studio nestled in a village hidden behind the trees. Our walk up the hill leading to the complex was an adventure in itself. As we dodged leeches and clung to the hillside, afraid to slip on the wet stones from the rain a couple of days before, I was reminded of one of the biggest motivations for me to come to India. I am infatuated by the different interpretations of what yoga is and why people do it. During our previous visit to the Parmarth Ashram, our instructor told us that we do yoga to remain in the present. Although the yoga instructor we met today still hasn’t given us a clear definition of what yoga is, he helped me understand why yoga is enjoyable. He told us that the class should be carried by the idea that it is “my body, my yoga”, and that we weren’t in competition with anyone. It wasn’t about who could lift their legs the highest or who could remain in tree position; it was the effort that counted. We were not supposed to push our body further than what was natural for us.



 As a competitive person I really struggled with the idea of effort over performance and as a flexible person who enjoys people complimenting me on it, I thought I would lose my motivation to try in class. It was actually the opposite. The lax environment was a relieving place where I didn’t feel pressure to uncomfortably stretch my body just for the approval of my peers. I did what came naturally and as I left the room I felt confident that I wouldn’t have any strained muscles the next day. I had gotten the same emotional results without any physical pain. I learned today that I need to stop thinking about yoga as a form of exercise and more as a form of emotional rehabilitation. My yoga experience allowed me to ponder the issues in my personal life and recover from my chaotic (but wonderful) homestay. I guess I need to throw out my Lulu’s now.

Surviving and thriving,
Natalia

Mom and Dad,
Sorry I didn’t blog earlier, but I want you to know that all the effort it took to get here has been worth it. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to experience this!

Diego and Lucas,
Words cannot describe how much I want you to be here. Please come pick me up at the airport, I miss you guys a lot. Lucas- I’m bringing you back some Parle-G’s, get wrecked, son. Diego- Try not to roll off your bed and if I get back and you’re wearing basketball shorts, I’m calling Mickey rat to eat through your pizza.

M, D, L, Diego,

Love you!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Natalia, it has been wonderful to experience this amazing journey you are all on, via the blog....I appreciate you all taking the time. I look forward to hearing every detail when you return via our non stop banter that makes the boys crazy :)
    We all love and miss you very much, look forward to more incredible experiences posted and you can be sure there are many hugs waiting here for you upon your return. I hope to enjoy yoga with you as well!
    Love you so much,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalia
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post and observations about yoga! Yoga in India is more mystical than it is here. I am so happy to hear you discovered parle g!!! I grew up eating them and still enjoy them to this day!!

    Shanthi (meena's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalia this is Lucas-I hope you are having a great time,It is very Quite with you not here and it is not the same.Without you diego stays in his pajamas all day eating pizza.And I don't have anyone to talk to about unbreakable Kimmy shmit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it ! Enjoy , laugh , learn and be nice !
    Love ....your dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wassup Natalia its your favorite bro ;) I hope that you are having a fun time chilling and eating some Parle-G's. We all miss you very much and cant wait for you to return home. I made sure that your bed wont be cold when you come back because I sleep in it every night with Brooklyn. I am currently in some basketball shorts eating some pizza. Have a safe return home. -Love EGGO

    ReplyDelete