Thursday, June 23, 2016

Getting Into the Flow - Meena


Today we brainstormed and launched our Grassroots Projects. This is the main reason why we are visiting India. We decided to split into three groups, each one focusing on a different project that was related to what we learned about within our first two days of being in Ranikhet. One group decided to focus on developing a plan for a memorial site for the victims of the 2013 landslide in Uttarakhand, which killed over 50,000 people. A second group is looking for ways to integrate local artwork with the memorial site and the Umang store where locally produced products are sold by Grassroots. The third group is researching native plant species in Ranikhet and making a pamphlet that will describe health benefits and uses of that plant in a common format. The pamphlet will then be distributed amongst the 1,500 shareholders of the Umang collective and other villagers living in Ranikhet. All three groups have five days to complete their projects and one day to finalize their presentations.

            In addition to our projects, life in Ranikhet has been pretty good. Most of us have become fully integrated with our host families, and we’re getting to know the culture a lot better. I personally live with a family of four, and I have two host siblings who are 16 (Pinky) and 14 (Ravi). I love spending time with them and getting to know them better. In turn, they love learning more about American culture and what my daily life is like at home.





To my peeps at home, I have not found any jackfruit yet. I repeat, no jackfruit.  Lastly, I do miss chocolate milk.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meena
    So good to hear from you! The projects sound amazing! I look forward to hearing about all of them when you return! Your radiant smile tells me that you are enjoying yourself!! Nana says to keep looking for the jackfruit😉 I hope you read letter 2 not because of meeting its condition! Your brother and sister miss you terribly!! As do nana and I. We can't wait for you to come home and tell us more about Pinky and Ravi and your host parents. Please give them our regards. Hope you are getting your fill of shah rukh khan! and we hope you will blog again!!
    Love, Amma,Nana, Anna and Sanjana

    ReplyDelete