Monday, June 20, 2016

Rishikesh to Ranikhet - Tatum

Hey guys it’s Tatum.



A few days ago, on day four of the trip, we did a scavenger hunt in Rishikesh. I was in a group with Shay and Meena. We had a bunch of things that we were supposed to take a picture of and share with the group like a lotus flower, a yoga mat, Sanskrit, a photo or statue of Gandhi, and many more. The sheet also prompted us to initiate a conversation in Hindi for bonus points but our group didn’t end up saying anything past “Namaste”. But it was really interesting for our group to wander around the city alone. We explored the city and found souvenirs for friends and family. I got to practice my bargaining skills and though I was a bit rusty, it ended up going well. Afterwards we visited the Parmarth ashram again and attended an “aarthi pooja” beside the Ganges river. 



Yesterday, we made the eleven and a half hour drive to Ranikhet through the Jim Corbett tiger reserve. We didn’t see any unfortunately but we saw a bunch of monkeys. We’ve seen so many different animals here, like peacocks and elephants, and India is overrun with odd insects as well. Though we’ve seen so many exotic animals here, personally, I wish India had wolves because after the Isle Royale project we did in Biology this year, I have been really intrigued by and in love with wolves. 

Anyways, I’ve had a great time so far and I was just paired up with my host family and I am so incredibly excited to meet the two children, my little siblings, of my family. Looking forward to the next 12 days and then we’ll be headed home! Though I just got new parents, I miss you mom and dad, see you soon.
                                                                                                                        Love, Tatum

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you all to have this experience. Yoga will stretch your bodies and the experience will stretch and open your hearts and minds. Enjoy your new
    family! We all miss you very much too! Hugs and kisses, Michelle (your birth mother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you all to have this experience. Yoga will stretch your bodies and the experience will stretch and open your hearts and minds. Enjoy your new
    family! We all miss you very much too! Hugs and kisses, Michelle (your birth mother)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys are having a great trip! I hope the home stay part of the trip is really fun and exciting. I personally love owls and I heard there were some pretty awesome ones in that part of the world. Take a photo or two for me if you can!
    Miss you!
    Nate

    ReplyDelete