Friday, June 17, 2016

This Too Shall Pass - Kelly

My favorite part of today was definitely the Beatles ashram (and the female spiritual leader we talked to at the ashram would definitely be upset with me for referring to it as such because it’s actually named for a Yogi). After visiting the Parmarth Niketon ashram, we walked through the crowded streets to the edge of town and up the windy, slippery, extremely vertical stone path (mind you, there have only been a few times in my life when I thought they might have to write “succumbed to heatstroke” on my tombstone and as we climbed up this windy path, this was definitely one of those times. But it was all worth it. And there’s nothing that improves team bonding better than being reduced to panting, disgusting sweaty messes together. Groups that sweat out their weight in perspiration together, stay together.), and eventually we reached these crumbling two-story stone huts that were filled with beautiful Beatles graffiti. Then we walked up the path to a giant, open, also crumbling warehouse that, for me at least, was the main event.



Now I said earlier to several people that I was going to try to describe this part using Beatles quotes, but now that I’m actually writing this it’s a lot harder than it seemed before and while I'm a Beatles fan, I don’t think I know enough obscure lyrics that I can use to describe what the experience was like.  The floors and walls of this giant room were covered in incredible graffiti, and there were song lyrics, drawings, a mural of John, Paul, George and Ringo the size of a wall,  and inspirational messages. The crumbling nature of the room definitely attributed to the abandoned, timeless aura that the room gave off. It was the most beautiful room I’ve ever been in in my life (and you thought I wouldn’t “accidently” work in some Beatles references!); I would love to go back and spend hours looking around. Honestly, from me to you (!), this was my best experience in India so far.



I was the last person out of the warehouse and as I hurried to catch up with everyone else, I discovered that there was a quote written right in front of the exit in giant letters. It was my mom’s favorite quote, “This too shall pass.” Literally the day I left for India, when she was dropping me off at the airport, she told me to think of this quote when I was feeling sick or sad on the trip. It was extremely fitting that that quote was the last thing I read before leaving.




Kelly

6 comments:

  1. So fun to read about this sweaty, inspiring adventure. The post title definitely caught my eye and fun to read about the graffiti quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I remember my Beatles trivia, the John Lennon song Sexy Sadie was originally titled "Maharishi," after the leader of the Beatles Ashram, who John at one point suspected of deceiving them (John later changed his mind about this). But in any case, the original lyric to the song was"Maharishi, what have you done? You've made a fool of everyone...." George Harrison told John to change it and the Sexy Sadie song (which you won't know unless you're really into the Beatles) was born!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember my Beatles trivia, the John Lennon song Sexy Sadie was originally titled "Maharishi," after the leader of the Beatles Ashram, who John at one point suspected of deceiving them (John later changed his mind about this). But in any case, the original lyric to the song was"Maharishi, what have you done? You've made a fool of everyone...." George Harrison told John to change it and the Sexy Sadie song (which you won't know unless you're really into the Beatles) was born!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - some of my best friends are the ones I sweat with. What wonderful memories you're making - Barb Zivkov

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly
    Interestingly enough, the mantra I live by is this to will pass! Despite the heat, glad to see all of you having fun and keeping your sense of humor!! Hope you all cool of once you get to ranikhet!! --Shanthi karamcheti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Travel, as you know, can be filled with highs and lows so your mom's quote was spot on. I imagine India has some challenges that perhaps France or Italy would not. Hopefully you like Indian food?

    ReplyDelete